The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF; the Foundation), located in Princeton, N.J., is the largest philanthropy in America dedicated solely to health. Since 1972, we have focused on developing and promoting innovations in health and healthcare to improve the lives of millions. In partnership with others, we are working toward a nation that is rooted in equity, compassion, and respect; a nation that provides everyone in America a fair and just opportunity to thrive, no matter who they are, where they live, or how much money they have. This requires addressing many harmful obstacles to wellbeing, including poverty, powerlessness, and discrimination.
We take seriously our responsibilities, and we pledge to work in ways that reflect our Guiding Principles. These are rooted in equity and influence everything we do at RWJF. Equity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration allow our staff’s wide range of experiences, passions, and perspectives to enrich our work and strengthen our ability to address our nation’s most pressing health issues. The Foundation offers a collaborative, collegial, and creative work environment. With a career at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, you will make a difference.
About This Opportunity
Reporting to the director of Brand, the creative lead will oversee the development, implementation, and management of creative across Foundation communications and its platforms. A demonstrated leader who is a big-picture thinker and visionary, the creative lead helps amplify the Foundation’s Culture of Health vision, advance the program themes’ goals and objectives, and ensure that the Foundation leverages our brand for maximum impact. The creative lead will use their expertise to inspire and lead a team of in-house and external creative professionals.
- Lead the Creative Vision for the Foundation: The creative lead will set a creative direction that reflects the Foundation’s refreshed brand position and visual identity. They will manage the roll-out across the Foundation, its communications platforms, and adoption across the ecosystem of communications firms.
- Build and Lead a Team of Creative Professionals: The creative lead will build and manage a blended team of in-house and external creative professionals who can effectively conceptualize, create, and deliver creative content that strategically aligns with a project’s strategy and reflects the Foundation’s brand to its fullest potential.
- Operationalize and Cultivate a Culture of Brand Discipline: The creative lead will create an environment that inspires creativity and provides guidance on how to ensure brand integrity and visual consistency across Foundation-wide program themes and teams, and grantee and partner communications.
- Develop Creative Approaches and Treatments: The creative lead will collaborate with others inside and outside the Communications department to conceptualize and execute creative projects, targeted promotional and marketing plans, and meetings and events that are inspirational and innovative.
As with staff at all levels of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the creative lead is expected to demonstrate a passionate commitment to equity, to the Foundation’s mission, and its Guiding Principles.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Lead the creative vision for the Foundation’s refreshed brand and manage the rollout of the brand guidelines across the Foundation, the Foundation’s platforms, and the communications ecosystem of firms.
- Establish and formalize a culture of brand appreciation within the Foundation by serving as an expert resource to staff, consultants, communications firms, and grantees on creative direction, brand strategy, accessibility, and intellectual property issues.
- Generate a roster of field-leading creatives who can be key resources and partners in fully realizing and implementing the refreshed brand.
- Collaborate with colleagues and communications firms in brainstorming, conceptualizing, and creating dynamic creative strategies for Foundation and program-related initiatives.
- Oversee the development of marketing materials, including ads, digital graphics, videos, website(s), and other collateral for Foundation-level internal and externally facing communications projects.
- Manage visual consistency and brand integrity across Foundation-wide program themes and teams, and grantee and partner communications initiatives and products.
- Lead and inspire a team of in-house and freelance designers, writers, and other creative professionals by encouraging out-of-the-box thinking and designing cutting-edge content that is innovative and amplifies the Foundation’s brand.
- Establish and refine project documentation—including requirements and creative briefs—for digital, print, and events that staff and communications firms can clearly follow and will encourage thoughtful experimentation.
- Review creative content performance and stay current on creative, marketing, and digital trends and techniques, and identify opportunities to take big swings, be innovative, and push the Foundation’s brand.
- Manage budgets and timelines to ensure that all deliverables are completed on time and within budget.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Commitment to racial and health equity and the Foundation’s vision, values, and Guiding Principles.
- Experience working effectively in and fostering an inclusive environment as part of a multidisciplinary team with persons from diverse cultural, social, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Project and people management skills, including the demonstrated ability to think and act independently and manage multiple priorities and projects in a decentralized, matrixed organization.
- Experience in brand management and corporate identity development.
- Strong design skills with competencies in digital design, videography, photography, animation, and graphic design.
- Demonstrated ability to use technology and user-centered design.
- Proficient understanding of WCAG compliance and implementation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to present and facilitate small and large groups.
- Interpersonal skills and facilitator who models a collegial, thoughtful, and professional working environment within the department.
- Track record of operational effectiveness—with innate instincts for how to get things done within bureaucratic structures a plus.
- Minimum five years experience working in marketing, advertising, communications, graphic design, storytelling, and branding, with five years of creative direction experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Design, or a related field. A combination of equivalent education and work experience may be substituted for the above requirements.
The creative lead will perform job duties in a typical business office environment. Specific physical abilities required by this job include operating basic office equipment. Will be required to attend meetings, potentially both in person and off-site via phone or videoconference. Some domestic travel may be required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The starting salary range for the creative lead is $115,000 to $120,000. Why work at the Foundation? Learn more about the benefits of working at RWJF.
Application Deadline: April 2, 2023
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ and other underrepresented applicants.
Our Committment to Diversity and Inclusion
We are committed to building a Culture of Health that provides everyone in America a fair and just opportunity for health and wellbeing.
Staff and Trustees
The work of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is fueled by our staff, leadership team, and Trustees’ unwavering commitment to health equity.